Here's to the Fourth!



Today was my first ‘happy fourth’ as an American citizen! Was it happy? For most parts yes.
It also happens to be the day when I received my ‘overseas citizen of India’ card. Was I happy? Yes for sure!

When I moved to America 11 years ago, I didn’t see anything special about the so-called ‘American Dream’. Yet it surprised me in many ways particularly for all that it means to the Americans and to those who have made this country their home (that I have encountered). Infact, of all the countries I have traveled to, the level of patriotism is the strongest here and it certainly inspires me to be a good citizen. The country has embraced me with the values of family, diversity, friendship and opportunities; all of which have been near and dear to me in India too!

Today, as I become a part of this celebration with my family and friends, I feel thankful for being connected to my birthplace and at the same time, grateful for what the US has represented for me. As I make this country my home of choice, I would like for my sons to stand by these values too. Yes, it makes me nervous about all the things happening in the country right now; about the direction it is headed in. I hope this is only a glitch in the system and that tomorrow will bring in continued resistance and optimism.


So as I enjoy the day with family and friends, here’s to the nation that celebrates its ‘freedom’; let there be a constant reminder of what the nation stands for and truly represents. Happy fourth indeed!