The 'Mum' Word

Dear K,

Today is Mother's Day - typically celebrated on 2nd Sunday of May every year here in the US. While its origin is unclear, Wikipedia claims that this day was set aside to honor mothers - for their love and care and hence as an act of expression and appreciation for all they have done and continue to do. I agree, it is a day of commercial value, for now I care little for any such honor.

I never considered myself to be 'motherly' till you came along and clearly, that has meant a lot of changes
. Hence I am delighted that I have you as a reason to celebrate whatever little this day means to me as a mother.

More so, I have you as a reason to celebrate what this day really means to me as a daughter.


Through you, I have begun to truly understand the love and care I received from my mom when I was young. I hope I can continue to extend the same to you.

Just like her, I hope I can show you what it means to be a good person.
Just as she has taught me, hope that I can teach you how to love unconditionally, how to enjoy the small things in life, and how to be carefree.
I hope to be the mom that she has been to me and more.

Now that I have you, I understand her more.

I may not always get it right - but expect no less.

So thank you Dear K - for being patient and tolerant as I learn how to be the mother you need and for showing me the mother I can be.

Forever,
Your-Mom-in-Training
&
A-Daughter-for-Life