Yet Another Wednesday

Trains, Air, Bars, Hotels, Hospitals. We have now witnessed it all. This is the reality and I guess we need to come to terms with the scenario.

Today it seemed to me that I was watching a Die Hard Part V; a feeling of déjà vu except that this time around, it is indeed my city that is burning, converted into a war zone! The sadness and anger galore, the entire day has been in viewing scenes of victims being taken in vehicles to the hospitals, white slip-on lying on the road covered with blood, dead body bleeding all over with red mass of ooze on his head.

Such schemed, coordinated attacks struck the city as it readied for a peaceful night, but maybe not!! Terrorists driving around the streets shooting gunfire and taking in pride! All I can think of is how incompetent our own Government is that something of this extent has to happen every now and then. A city where an event of such magnitude can go totally undetected, do we even not have a decent intelligence system in place? Are our police and special forces so ineffective that these bugger of sorts actually show us their middle finger and all we do is be stunned by them? With mixed emotions of sorrow and deep anger, it only makes me wonder what kind of world do we live in where each day instills more fear to our daily existence?

On the other hand, I hope I am a minority in feeling a coward; a self-contained Mumbaite who is far far away from such mayhem. While my city is burning, I am tucked into the warmth of luxury with thoughts on what to pack for my thanksgiving weekend. As my own fellows are being killed, all I am part of is the virtual witness to the drama.

However, I know that I am not a minority in believing that Mumbai will strike back. As the city wakes up from an anguished night, it does so with the spirit that is unperturbed, that it will give a ‘disproportionate response’ with an undying determination and fortitude.

Mumbai police and those involved, please do not let us down this time around. Please do not shatter our hopes and please reassure our belief and faith in the system. In your actions, we surrender the only part of our assurance and conviction.

To my city and all those who fight this event, my spirits lie with you. To those who have lost near and dear ones, my heart goes out to your family. To my city that lost its key personnel, I hope we can even closely repay what you fought for!

Hope we come out of this Swifter, Higher, Stronger - Citius, Altius, Fortius!