Thank you Mrs. Amin...and Deep!

It is a universally accepted phenomenon that being a Gujarati by blood is equivalent to Thepla, Dhokla, Undhiya and Mohanthaal! So the fact that Gujaratis love their food is an understatement. Not a big fan of any of the above, I thought I wasn’t a true Gujarati until my most recent relishes of all.


Before I come to that, it is important to understand the inherent relationship we Gujjus share with Food. It may be a simplest meal but the unique way of preparing and serving is what makes it special. One would know this when visiting a Gujarati family over meal or simply going into a Gujju restaurant. The THALI way with unlimited servings is simply exciting (for a non-foodie like me, so you can imagine how a foodie would take it). And it is extremely typical of Gujjus (in the Gujju parts of India, to be specific) to go for the morning ritual of jog and run and return home to feast to the sweet and savoury Jalebi-Ghatiya! It is this undying connection with food that separates the Gujju clan from several others. And it is this love that has made several corporations venture into special interest services. So there is a Pizza Hut in Ahmedabad that serves Jain Pizza and Kadai Paneer Pizza and a McDonald’s written in Gujarati on one of the expressways in Gujarat. Indian Cola tastes better when there is a mix of Coke with Indian spices to it! Chinese food has a much larger variation among Gujaratis than even the Chinese themselves. There’s is Chinese Dosa, Chinese Samosa, Chinese Bhel, Gobi Manchurian.


So while the Gujjus in India are certainly keeping themselves happy with varied culinary interests, they are equally united here in the US too. Without delving into varied Gujju restaurants in this country, I am thankful for especially one corporation that has made sure people like me remain grounded to their Gujju taste-buds. I did not even think I had those flavours in me when recently, Deep Foods proved me wrong. With Diwali celebrations ongoing, it reminds me of those delicacies cooked around this time of the year, back at home. Of special mention is what Gujjus prefer to call it – Chorafadi! Trust me, I have no clue what it means but who cares about that when what it tastes is simply amazing!


Again, I do not know much about how it is made (maybe Google it) but Deep Foods has ready frozen packets and all one has to do is thaw them, cut lines, (‘dip’) fry them, sprinkle some masala (included in the packet) and Voila! You’ve the Chorafadi to relish with some Desi Chai!




For someone least patient in preparing things from scratch, Deep Foods is the ideal ‘home-like’ option for me with its exotic choices and also, something it keeps reinventing. Some favourites are Guvar (cluster beans), Onion Uttappam (Rava Masala and Mysore Masala Dosas are Ashit’s favourites), Methi Malai Mutter, all kinds of Khakhras (methi in particular). Yet to taste several other delicacies but do thank Deep Foods, especially, Mrs. Bhagwati Amin for converting her hobby into a thriving business, and indirectly activating the Gujju DNA in this random blogger.